Sally's healthy and satisfying mini sausage rolls
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry (light if available)
- 380 g lean, healthy turkey mince
- 2 shallots (peeled and finely chopped)
- zest of ½ lemon
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp mixed herbs
- fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of paprika (optional)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with non-stick parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together the turkey mince, chopped shallots, cinnamon, mixed herbs and chopped parsley.
- Add a little fresh ground pepper and a small pinch of salt (if you like them spicy you can add a sprinkling of paprika).
- Lay the sheet of ready prepared puff pastry on the baking tray and brush all over with the beaten egg.
- Take a handful of the turkey mix and roll it into a sausage shape. Starting at one of the shorter ends of the pastry, place the meat mix along the edge, leaving a 1cm gap at the edge.
- Now roll the pastry over to encase the sausage, ensuring it overlaps by 1cm and then cut down the length of the pastry with a sharp knife.
- This long sausage rolls can be cut up into your desired sizes and placed, join down on the baking sheet.
- Repeat this process until all the sausage rolls have been made. Brush the sausage rolls with the remaining beaten egg and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Sally's tips: When shaping the turkey mix use slight wet hands so the meat doesn’t stick. Try to buy ‘light’ puff pastry, as this is even lower in fat! Add more spice or chopped chilli’s if you want to give the rolls a kick!Add some pork sausage meat into this mix if you want a more traditional flavour.