A quick and tasty lunch treat!
- 225 g plain flour
- 225 g strong flour
- 550 g butter
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 175 ml cold water
- 375 g ready-made puff pastry
- 4 tblsp basil pesto
- 3 large tomatoes
- 200 g goats cheese
- basil leaves
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Place both flours into a mixing bowl. Cut 125g of the butter into small cubes and rub into the butter until well combined.
- Beat the lemon juice, egg yolk and water. Add this to the flour; lightly knead to form a dough.
- Add a little more water if needed but it should be firm.
- Wrap well in cling film and chill for 30mins.
- Roll the pastry out on a well floured surface to about 50cm x 30cm.
- Slice the remaining butter and lay it over 2/3 of the dough. Fold the unbuttered 1/3 over 1/2 the buttered area. Then flip that over the remaining butter third so the butter is wrapped inside the dough.
- Using a rolling pin lightly roll the upper surface of the dough to press out any air bubbles.
- Press the edges to seal. Wrap in cling film and chill for another 30 mins.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out until it measures 60cm x 20cm. Fold the pastry in by 1/3s until it is a 20cm x 20cm parcel. This is called giving the dough a single turn.
- Place on a plate and chill for 30 mins. To give the dough its second turn roll the dough in the direction of the unfolded sides to form a 60cm x 20 cm rectangle. Fold in by 1/3s to give a 20cm x 20cm parcel again. Chill once more for 30 mins.
- Repeat this twice more each time rolling in the direction of the unfolded side and chill in for 30 mins in between.
- Then cover and chill for 1 hour. When ready to use roll into the desired shape on a tray.
- Chill for 30 minutes before baking.
- For the tart: Lightly brush a 30cm x 25cm tin with oil. Roll the pastry out to shape the tin, Cut a 1cm strip from each side and using egg wash 'glue' this around the edges to form a border. Cover and Chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Spread the pesto onto the pastry base. Arrange the slices of tomato and goats cheese on top.
- Season with salt, pepper and drizzle with oil, brush the edges with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until puffed up and golden.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with a green salad.
More by Lilly Higgins:
- Lamb Tagliata with spinach from Lilly Higgins
- Lilly Higgins' Lamb - Tasty, Easy, Fun!
- Peanut Butter and Sesame Cookies