The vivid colours of this soup make it a perfect dish for a dazzling dinner party.
- 4 very ripe avocados
- 15 g peeled and sliced onion
- 100 ml french dressing
- 2–4 tsp lemon juice
- 600 ml cold chicken or vegetable stock
- for the red pepper salsa:
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and chopped into 3mm (1/8 in) dice)
- 1 yellow pepper (de-seeded and chopped into 3mm (1/8 in) dice
- 1 red onion (peeled and chopped, or 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped)
- 2 generous tbsp chopped coriander (or mint or basil), plus some leaves
- 8 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- juice of 1/2 -1 lemon
- Peel and roughly chop the avocados and place in a food processor. Add the onion, French dressing and lemon juice, whiz to a purée, then pour in enough of the stock to bring it to the consistency of thick double cream. Depending on the size of your avocados you may need more or less of the stock to achieve the desired consistency, keeping in mind that it needs to be thick enough so that the salsa will not sink when serving.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice if needed. Push through a sieve then pour into a container for the fridge, cover and chill for 1/2–1 hour or up to about 4 hours before serving.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Place the red and yellow peppers, onion, chopped coriander and olive oil in a bowl, mixing together and seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- When ready to serve, pour the soup into individual bowls with a spoonful of salsa added to the centre of each and scatter over the coriander leaves.
This recipe and many more are available in Rachel's book, 'Rachel Allen: Entertaining at Home', published by Harper Collins.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking