Try these tasty snacks for your next dinner party.
- 175 g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry (thawed if frozen)
- plain flour, for dusting
- 50 g cheddar (finely grated)
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tsp water
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- To make the cheese straws, place the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle over the Cheddar in an even layer.
- Fold in half width ways to enclose the cheese layer completely and roll out again to its original size, using a little extra flour if necessary.
- Brush all over with the beaten egg and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Take the chilled cheese pastry and cut it into 10 cm/4 in lengths, each 1 cm/1/2 in wide. Hold the ends of each strip between your fingers and twist the ends in opposite directions.
- Arrange the twisted strips on non-stick baking sheets and sprinkle a little salt over each one. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, and then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon