Enoch Burke turned up at Wilson's Hospital School in Co Westmeath twice today.

He turned up at the school in Multyfarnham this morning, despite being dismissed from his position at the school last Friday.

Gardaí arrived at the school at 11.15am and left at 12.41pm, with Mr Burke in the back of an unmarked car.

Enoch Burke driven to garda station in an unmarked garda car
Enoch Burke was driven to a garda station in an unmarked garda car

He was arrested under the Public Order Act and released this afternoon where he then returned to the school.

School principal Frank Milling came to the front gate and told Mr Burke he was not getting in.

However, Mr Burke entered the premises when the gates opened to let a bus in.

Just before 4pm this afternoon, Mr Burke was driven away from the school by his father.

Last Friday, a statement issued through one of Mr Burke's brothers confirmed that he had been dismissed from the school.

Mr Burke said the decision had been taken after what he described as the "purported" meeting of the board of management in Mullingar Park Hotel.

Gross misconduct

A disciplinary hearing involving Mr Burke took place last Thursday, in relation to alleged gross misconduct at the school.

On Wednesday, the High Court had refused to grant Mr Burke an injunction to prevent the hearing.

Mr Justice Conor Dignam said the applicant's intention to continue to breach court orders against him, meant the balance of justice tipped against allowing the injunction.

Mr Burke was jailed in early September after breaching a High Court injunction directing him to stay away from the school.

He had been suspended on full pay by the school as part of a disciplinary process, following a row over a request from a student to be addressed by a new name and for "they/them" pronouns to be used.

He was released from Mountjoy Prison on 21 December, and has continued to attend at Wilson's Hospital School since it reopened after the Christmas holidays on 5 January.

Enoch Burke (C) at last week's disciplinary hearing

According to a circular from the Department of Education, a teacher who has been notified that disciplinary action is to be taken against him or her has ten school days to request a review of the proceedings by a disciplinary review panel.

A teacher may seek such a review on a number of grounds, including claims that the procedures were not adhered to, that all the relevant facts were not ascertained or considered or that the teacher concerned was not afforded a reasonable opportunity to answer the allegation.

Over the weekend, a letter emerged from the student council at the school.

The council had written to Mr Burke expressing concern about the impact of his ongoing attendance at the school.

In the letter, the student council listed a number of issues, saying that Mr Burke's presence in a corridor was affecting learning and causing huge disruption.

The council said that for many LGBTQI+ students, Mr Burke's presence in the school "is a daily reminder of the prejudices they feel".

Concern expressed by students

The council also expressed concern that important student matters are not being dealt with because the time of senior management is being spent supervising Mr Burke.

They also highlighted the ongoing media presence at the school, saying that it is a huge disruption and they expressed concern about the reputation of the school.

The council complained that Transition Year and Fifth-year students "feel they have no place to hang out" because of Mr Burke's presence.

The student council also claimed that first-year students were "denied the opportunity to fully sample the German subject at the beginning of the year".

"Many Junior cycle and Leaving Certificate students complained about the lack of a German teacher in that classroom for what is their most crucial year of study".