A 22-year-old man has appeared in court charged with the murder of a 76-year-old man who was attacked with an axe at his home in Dublin last week.
Oliver Doran, a father of three, with an address at Sofia Housing, Cork Street in Dublin was remanded in custody for a week.
The court was told that when he was charged this afternoon with the murder of Kwok Ping Cheng he replied: "I'm sorry for the man."
Mr Cheng was found fatally injured after he had been attacked with an axe in his home in Robinson's Court off Cork Street in Dublin last Thursday.
Mr Cheng was originally from Hong Kong but had lived at Robinson's Court for several years.
Detective Garda Richard Pender gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in court.
He told the court that he arrested Mr Doran in Dundrum at 3.30am yesterday morning, detained him at Kevin Street Garda Station.
Mr Doran was charged with the murder of Mr Cheng at 4.16pm today. Det Garda Pender said.
Defence solicitor Simon Fleming said the accused was unemployed and applied for free legal aid, but the judge deferred a decision.
There was no application for bail as bail in a murder charge can only be granted in the High Court.
The court was also told that due to Covid-19 restrictions Mr Doran would be in isolation for two weeks in the prison and would not have contact with anyone.
Judge John Hughes remanded Mr Doran in custody to appear again by video link at Clover Hill District Court next Tuesday.