Affogato is good at any time of year and it is an incredibly easy dessert to prepare. Choose the best vanilla ice cream you can find and make sure you use good, strong espresso (regular brewed coffee will not work here). The recipe for the biscotti makes about 30 but they keep very well in an airtight container.
- 500 ml Tub good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 4 Shots freshly made espresso
- For the Biscotti:
- 140 g Plain flour
- 40 g Good quality cocoa powder
- 1 tblsp Instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Good pinch sea salt
- 2 Large eggs, at room temperature
- 100 g Caster sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 60 g Hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 100 g Dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C. To make the biscotti, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and then add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix together until it forms a dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface and then fold and knead the nuts and chocolate into the mix until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a log and place on the baking tray and pop in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut slices about 1cm thick and place the slices back on the baking tray and pop back in the oven to cook for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a wire cooling rack.
- When ready to serve, put a few scoops of ice cream in each heatproof glass, sundae dish or cappuccino cup set on plates.
- Pour a shot of freshly made espresso over each one and arrange a few of the biscotti alongside.
- Serve immediately.