"If you are a chocolate lover like me, our homemade chocolate brownie will be guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth. It is by far our most popular Dessert here in Café 31 and has been modified to suit coeliacs who are often limited when it comes to the choices available for their final course. It's rich, chocolaty and the coconut ice cream acts as a delicious contrast to the bitter Valhrona Chocolate we use. It will also hold well after freezing if you have leftovers, but from our experience, you won't!"
- 150 g Unsalted butter
- 50 g Dark chocolate drops
- 50 g Broken hazelnuts 125g vanilla sugar or caster sugar
- 2 Large eggs whole and one egg yolk
- 30 g Ground almonds
- 30 g Gluten free self raising flour
- 40 g Cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate!)
- Place eggs and sugar in a mixer (preferably with a with whisk attachment),and whisk with high speed until light and fluffy
- Melt butter
- Sieve flour and cocoa powder together then add ground almonds
- Now using a spatula, gently fold dry ingredients into the egg and sugar, one third at a time until there the mix is as smooth as possible
- Using the same folding technique, slowly add the butter and mix until fully incorporated. (You don’t want to see any streaks of butter in the mix)
- Pour contents into baking tray and evenly sprinkle chocolate drops and hazelnuts on top
- Place in oven & bake for approx 15-20 minutes
- Allow to cool in its tray for roughly forty minutes to avoid any breakages.
- Simply portion with a knife and enjoy with some ice cream or fresh cream and lashings of chocolate sauce!