Serve each tart with cream on top and the sauce on the side.
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 4 Braeburns/Pink Ladys
- 4 puff pastry discs
- 100g sugar and 100mls water - sugar syrup
- 50g sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- For the Butterscotch:
- 100g brown sugar
- 100g cream
- 25g butter
- 1-2 drops of vanilla essence
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Peel, core and roughly dice 2 Granny Smith apples and stew them in a small pot until soft. Peel and core the remaining 4 apples and cut them in half. Finely slice each half around 2-3mm thick.
- Bring the sugar and water for the syrup up to the boil and leave to cool.
- Spoon one spoonful of stewed apple into the centre of each of the pastry discs. Fan the sliced apples around until they form a circle and sprinkle with some ground cinnamon. Lightly brush with sugar syrup.
- Put the tarts in the oven at 200?C for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked.
- For the Butterscotch Sauce, melt the butter in a small pot, add the sugar and allow to turn a dark caramel. When dark whisk in the cream and boil for 2-3 minutes. Then add a pinch of salt and the vanilla essence. Lightly whip the cream and add some sugar to taste.
- Serve each tart with cream on top and the sauce on the side.