Nothing cheers up a cold and cloudy morning like the tart, vibrant flavour of lemon curd spread.
- 6 tblsp / 85 grams unsalted butter
- 1 cup / 200 grams granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup / 160 milliliters freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the whole eggs and yolks with a fork until fully blended.
- Then, a little at a time, add the beaten eggs to the creamed butter mixture, until smooth. Once smooth, mix in the lemon juice and beat for 1 minute on high speed.
- The mixture will look curdled in the mixing bowl because of the flecks of butter. It will turn satiny as it cooks.
- Pour the mixture into a medium, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes; stirring constantly, until the curd thickens, never letting it boil. Test for set by coating the back of a wooden spoon and dragging your finger through it. If a distinct track remains, it’s done. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, and salt. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.