Chewy and crunchy at the same time, this sweet cereal is like a great to be eaten dessert. Pour milk on top, sprinkle it on your Lemon Curd, or eat it by the handful.
- 1 cup / 240 grams unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cup / 270 grams old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup / 75 grams cashews, chopped
- 4 tblsp local irish honey
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tblsp vanilla extract
- 1 tblsp almond extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Spread the coconut onto a baking sheet in a thin layer. Bake it until barely brown, about 5 minutes. It’s usually done when you can smell it. Remove the toasted coconut from the oven and set it aside to cool, and lower the oven temperature to 300°F / 150°C to preheat for the next step.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, cashews, and toasted coconut. Warm the honey, oil, vanilla, almond extract, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until just simmering. Simmer for 5 minutes, taking care not to let it boil, then remove the pan from the heat. Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon until the
- dry ingredients are coated. Spread this mixture in a thin layer over a large baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then stir and flip the mixture. Repeat the 10-minute baking time, then stir again, repeating until the granola is well toasted. (This usually takes about 50 minutes total baking time.)
- Once toasted, let the granola sit on the baking sheet, stirring occasionally. When cooled, the granola stays fresh in the refrigerator for about a month, or at room temperature for about 2 weeks.