As delicious as the picture would suggest, this dessert is easy to make and scrumptious to the core.
- 225g (8oz) butter
- 1 x 410g (14½oz) tin of evaporated milk
- 900g (2lb) caster sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the milk, 200ml (7fl oz) water, the sugar and vanilla extract and stir with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Turn up the heat to simmer and stir constantly for about 35-45 minutes.
- It's ready when it reaches 115°C (239°F).
- If you have a sugar thermometer, use it as soon as the mixture boils. If you don't have one, test for the soft ball stage (to do this, place a blob – ½ teaspoon or so – into a small bowl of cold water and as it cools, it will form a soft ball).
- Pull off the heat and place in a deep oven tray filled with iced water.
- Allow to cool to 110C, and then beat with a wooden spoon until thickened.
- Scrape into the prepared tin and smooth with a spatula.
- Allow to cool and then cut before completely cold.