Simple and delicious, the ultimate party food couldn't be made any easier (or taste any better!)
- 110g (4oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) ground almonds
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g (5oz) butter, melted
- 200g (7oz) filo pastry
- For the Syrup:
- 340g (12oz) caster or granulated sugar
- 200g (7oz) honey
- 0.5 cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, almonds and cinnamon.
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm (8in) square tin with baking parchment. Brush the lined tin with some of the melted butter. Cut the filo the same size as the tin, then place four layers of filo into the base of the tin, buttering between each layer with a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle 2–3 tablespoons of the almond mix on top of the last buttered sheet, place one more sheet on top and butter it, and then sprinkle over another 2–3 tablespoons of the almond mix. Make sure you use the offcuts to patchwork together layers in between.
- When all the almond mix is gone, set another four to six layers of filo on top, again buttering between each layer. Cut the baklava diagonally into 3–4cm (1¼ –1½ in) diamonds in the tray.
- Sprinkle with a teaspoon water, then place in the oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes until golden.
- While the baklava bakes, make the syrup. Mix all of the ingredients together with 225ml (8fl oz) water in a saucepan and place over a medium-high heat. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- When the baklava is baked, pour over the boiling syrup.
- Cut down through the baklava where you have cut before baking. Set aside and allow to cool for a few hours or overnight.