This is wonderful served just as it is, or with some chopped or sliced ripe mango.
- 2 l (4¼ pints) milk
- 8 green cardamom pods
- ½ tsp grated or ground nutmeg
- a good pinch of saffron strands
- 65g (2¼oz) sugar
- 75g (3oz) pistachios, chopped
- crystallised rose petals and chopped mango to serve
- Place the milk, cardamom pods and ground nutmeg in a saucepan on a medium heat. Once the milk comes up to a simmer, turn the heat down so that the milk continues to simmer without boiling over.
- Cook for about 1 hour – the time will vary depending on your pan and the heat, but the milk has to reduce to one third of its original amount (about 675ml/1¼ pints).
- Keep stirring regularly as it cooks. It browns a little on the bottom of the saucepan, so don't scrape this bit into the milk.
- Pour through a sieve into another saucepan, add the saffron, sugar and half of the chopped pistachios and cook for 2 minutes more. Pour out into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Pour into an ice cream machine or cover and place the bowl (if not using an ice cream machine) into the freezer. Take out of the freezer after about 2 hours and stir vigorously, then cover and put back into the freezer.
- Take out again another 2–3 hours later and repeat.
- When nearly frozen you can, if you wish, transfer the kulfi to individual moulds, then pop back in the freezer overnight, or for at least a couple of hours, until frozen.
- Turn out the kulfi and scatter with the remaining pistachios.
- This is wonderful served just as it is, or with some chopped or sliced ripe mango.