You can mix whatever you like into the batter!
- 1lb butter
- 1lb sugar
- 8-9 large eggs
- 1lb plain flour
- Lemon syrup, to glaze, or icing sugar, to sprinkle, on finished cake
- Cream butter and sugar with stand or handheld mixer until very pale, almost white. This may take up to 7-10 minutes.
- Do not skip this part of the recipe, otherwise your cake will not rise and turn out 'tough'.
- Mix 1lb eggs, usually 8-9 large eggs, into butter-sugar mixture.
- Mix 1lb plain flour, not self-rising, until just mixed. Do not over beat.
- At this point, you can mix whatever you like into the batter: vanilla bean, vanilla extract, orange zest, lemon zest, chocolate chips, a jar of your favourite jam, fresh fruit - whatever your little heart desires!
- Bake in greased and floured pan.
- Bake in moderate oven, for one hour if in Bundt pan or less if making mini pound cakes.
- Test with toothpick to see if done. There should be a very slight crumb on toothpick when inserted into cake.
- Cool for 10-20 minutes and turn out onto cooling rack.
- Glaze with a lemon syrup or sprinkle with icing sugar.