While Irish Summer weather can be unpredictable, enjoy some sunshine in a pie with this simply scrumptious Italian Lemon pie.
- 400 g pastry dough
- flour for the worktop
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 125 g siúcra granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- Roll out the pastry on a floured worktop until it is 5 cm wider than a 25 cm pie dish. Line the pie dish with the pastry, leaving the excess pastry hanging over the side.
- Mix together the two cheeses, the lemon juice and zest, half the sugar and five of the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the remaining sugar and beat for another two minutes.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case and fold the surplus pastry edge over the filling. Lightly beat the egg yolk and brush it on the pie crust.
- Bake in the centre of the oven at 175°C for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 2 hour.