A hearty traditional Irish favourite which, when cooked well, always goes down a treat.
- 900 g lean neck of lamb (or mutton pieces)
- 450 g onions (peeled and chopped)
- 450 g potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 450 g carrots (peeled and chopped)
- salt and pepper
- pinch of thyme
- Place the lamb or mutton in a large saucepan with the thyme, and cover with cold water.
- Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for one hour.
- Add the onions, carrots and potatoes.
- Season, and continue cooking slowly, with the lid on the saucepan for one further hour.