Lent is nearing an end so for those of you that have been abstaining from chocolate and all things sweet, we have the perfect recipe! The Chick Fairy Cakes taste as good as they look and are sure to be appreciated by both kids and adults!
- 110 g (4oz) butter or margarine
- 110 g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium size eggs
- 110 g (4oz) self-raising flour - sieved
- 2–3 drops natural vanilla extract dr. oetker baking cases
- 130 g (41/2oz) unsalted butter
- 250 g (9oz) icing sugar
- a few drops of natural vanilla extract milk or warm water
- jelly diamonds
- silver balls
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF/Gas 4). Place the Baking Cases into a bun tray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and Natural Vanilla Extract, if the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Take a sharp knife and cut a slice off the top of each cake. Cut each slice in half and set aside.
- To make the icing place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar. Mix in the Natural Vanilla Extract and enough milk/water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
- Use a small star nozzle and the icing to pipe rosettes on the top of each cake.
- Pipe a larger rosette on one side to resemble the chick's 'head'. Push two halves of cake into the icing to resemble wings.
- Cut the Jelly Diamonds into half and place on the 'head' to resemble the chick's 'plume' and place another half to resemble the 'beak'. Finish with two Silver Balls for 'eyes'.
Recipe courtesy of Dr. Oetker.