A twist on a childhood favourite.
- 500g caster sugar
- 2 l water
- 4 pears
- Pedro Ximénez sherry or your preferred sweet sherry
- powdered gelatine
- jamaican gingerbread
- 50 g flaked almonds
- 1 egg white
- 4 tblsp icing sugar
- 300 g mascarpone cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- 200 ml cream
- Place the sugar in a stainless steel saucepan on a gentle heat. Cook until the sugar has completely dissolved and has caramelised to a rich brown colour.
- Carefully add the water – it may splatter. Cook until all the caramel has dissolved.
- Add the peeled pears and place a plate on top to keep them submerged in the caramel stock. Cook for 20-30 minutes on a gentle heat until the pears are tender.
- Allow the stock to cool completely. Add the gelatine to the warm liquid according to the packet instructions.
- Pour into glasses and, when cool, place in the fridge until set or overnight if possible.
- For the Almonds: Toss the almonds in the egg white until just coated then add the sugar and mix well. Pour on to a tray lined with non stick mat and bake at 180C for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.
- For the Mascarpone Cream:
- Whisk the egg yolk and sugar until pale and has doubled in size. Add the mascarpone and mix for 1 minute. Whisk cream to stiff peaks then gently incorporate the egg mixture.