Another great way to enjoy a national treasure.
- 1.5 kg shoulder of lamb on the bone
- 4 cloves of garlic (cut in half)
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tblsp ground cumin
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 carrots
- ½ butternut squash
- 2 red onions
- 1 aubergine
- 2 red peppers
- drizzle of honey
- 1 orange (peel)
- for the dressing:
- 500 g set natural yoghurt
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 10-15 leaves fresh mint
- 1 tblsp mint jelly (preferably Baxters)
- 50 g feta cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- for the couscous:
- 500 g couscous
- 1 l chicken stock
- 2 lemons (juice)
- 2 tblsp castor sugar
- olive oil
- lots of soft herbs like parsley, coriander and chives
- salt and pepper
- Make 8 incisions in the lamb shoulder evenly spaced apart, just big enough for the garlic to be inserted. Cut the garlic cloves in half lengthways and add to the incisions in the meat.
- Drizzle the meat liberally with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and cumin powder.
- Place the 2 rosemary springs on top, cover with foil and roast for about 2 to 2.5 hours at 165-170°C.
- Remove the foil and drizzle the lamb with honey. Grate the orange zest over.
- Toss the cut vegetables in olive oil and salt and pepper. Add the seasoned vegetables around the meat. Return to the oven and continue to cook for 30 to 45 minutes until the lamb is caramelised and the veg is tender.
For the yoghurt dressing:
- Place all the ingredients in a liquidiser or blender and pulse until smooth
For the couscous:
- Place the couscous in a bowl or tray and lightly coat with olive oil. Place the couscous in a bowl or tray and lightly coat with olive oil. Pour the boiling stock over, mix gently and cover with clingfilm. Allow to sit until liquid has fully absorbed.
- Make a syrup with the lemon and sugar and keep it warm.
- Place the herbs in a liquidiser with some olive oil and blend to a fine pesto/oil. Pour the warm syrup in to the liquidiser as its mixing – this will turn your mixture a bright green colour. Mix thoroughly, check seasoning and serve.