Bread that's easy to prepare.
- 600 g extra coursemeal flour
- 180 g self raising flour
- 50 g margerine
- 200 g wheatgerm
- 1 desert spoon bread soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 l buttermilk
- This mixture makes about 3 cakes of bread. or 2 x 2lb loaves. Also can be put into Muffin tins for Brown Buns.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Put all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Rub in the Margerine. Make a well in the middle and pour in the Buttermilk. Mix it up until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spoon mixture into well oiled 2lb loaf tins or make into cakes and place on baking tray. Cut a X on top if cakes. Sprinkle some sesame seeds or Pumpkin seeds on top if liked. This gives a nice nutty topping to bread.
- Put tins/baking tray into preheated oven and bake for approx. 45 mins depending on your oven. Check them after about 40 mins by tapping bottom of tin or inserting metal skewer. If hollow sound after tapping then bread is cooked or if skewer comes out clean. Ovens vary greatly so it's best to keep an eye on them rather than overcook.
- When cooked remove from tins or baking tray and wrap in a damp tea towels and place on a wire tray to cool. Wrapping in damp cloth gives a softer crust and makes bread easier to cut.