An easily made, light dessert from broadcasting legend Marty Morrissey from his time on The Restaurant.
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 1 l water
- 500 g sugar
- 2 tblsp chopped mint
- 2 limes (juice only)
- for the sorbet:
- 750 ml champagne
- 300 g granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- In pot over a medium heat, bring the champagne and sugar to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the champagne for about 8-10 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Stir in the lemon juice stir and pour into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.
- Next make a stock syrup for the marinade.
- Put the water and sugar in a pot over a medium heat and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Remove for the heat and leave to cool. Then add the chopped mint and the limejuice.
- Peel and slice the pineapple very thinly (you could do this on a mandolin if you have one).
- Place the slices carefully into the lime and min marinade for at least one hour.
- To serve drape the pineapple on a chilled plate with a scoop of the Champagne sorbet in the middle and garnish with some mint and lime zest.