If it's Brussels Sprouts then it must be Christmas - Richard Corrigan shows you how!
- 75 g brussels sprouts per person
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 300 ml milk, and a little extra
- 75 g irish cheese (grated)
- 50 g back bacon (finely chopped)
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts. Remove the outer leaves and cut a little off the bottom of each sprout, then cut a little cross into the bottom of each sprout. This helps them cook more evenly.
- Put sprouts into a pot of boiling salted water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, strain off the water and refresh the sprouts in iced water.
- Place in roasting dish, set to one side.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then take off the heat and add the flour, mix together and return to the heat to cook until the roux looks glossy.
- Remove from the heat, add milk and stir continuously, no lumps! Return to heat and the sauce will thicken.
- Continue to cook until the flour has cooked out. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Check for seasoning and add some salt or pepper as required.
- Pour the cheese over the Brussels sprouts; sprinkle the finely chopped back bacon over the cheese.
- Put into an oven preheated 180°C (350°F, Gas 4) for 15 minutes, until the bacon is cooked and the cheese sauce is golden brown.