A traditional fish recipe with a subtle piquant twist will provide a delicious meal for four for under €10.
- vegetable oil
- 1 pack frozen haddock fillets
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 glasses of eagle ridge zinfandel
- blush rosé wine
- 4 tblsp cream
- 200 g button mushrooms (halved)
- chives to garnish
- served with broccoli or green beans.
- Gently sweat the red onion in some butter for 8-10 minutes until soft. Turn up the heat to high and add the lemon juice and wine.
- Boil rapidly until there are just 2 or 3 tbsp of liquid left in the pan and add the cream. Bubble up for one more minute and remove from heat. Check seasoning.
- Put 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in the frying pan and heat until very hot. Add the mushrooms and a knob of butter and toss once. Season well with black pepper and a little sea salt and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Smear your haddock with a little vegetable oil and season with sea salt and place in a hot dry pan (no oil). Cook for about 3 minutes and carefully flip it over. At this stage add a small knob of butter. Continue cooking until the fish is cooked, about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan to a warm plate, top with the sauce and scatter around the mushrooms. Nutritious all round.