The mains in a €10 budget challenge to feed four with a two course meal!
- 500 g pasta elbows
- 2 cup green peas
- 1 large spanish onion (diced)
- 3/4 head of broccoli (with stem diced)
- 1/2 leek (washed and diced large)
- 1/2 lbs butter
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cup milk
- 2 slices sliced bread
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 250 g shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large sauce pot fill with 2 litres cold water seasoned with salt. Bring to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente.
- Strain the pasta and set aside. In the same pot over medium heat, add the butter. When melted add the sifted flour to make a roux.
- Add mustard and whisk the roux over the heat for 5 minutes. This will whisk out the flour to make a smooth roux.
- Add the milk slowly and whisk. The mixture should start to thicken.
- Cook and whisk for 10 minutes making sure the sauce does not burn. Add the cheddar cheese and nutmeg. Whisk until all the cheese has melted.
- Take off the heat and add the vegetables and pasta. Toss until everything has been well incorporated.
- Add this mixture into an oven proof casserole dish. In a separate bowl break apart some slices of bread and coat with dried oregano, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle this on top of the casserole and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still have a bite to them.