Oscar Lai's stuffing recipe, which was passed down by his mother
- 200 g stale white baguette or ciabatta bread (diced into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 medium white onion diced medium
- 2 ribs of celery diced medium
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 large red peppers (de-seeded and deribbed cut into 1 inch pieces)
- ¾ lbs butter
- 1 cup cooked chestnuts roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the cubed stale white bread.
- Toast in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes turning occasionally. Take out of oven and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large pot melt the butter and add the vegetables. Cook until translucent. Do not over cook, as the vegetables will roast later.
- Add the herbs and chestnuts and continue to cook for another five minutes. Add the remaining olive oil and add this to the bowl of bread. Incorporate well and add the stock and seasoning.
- Place in a large roasting tray and cook in a preheated oven at 200°C for 40 minutes.