Make a delicious pie combining crunchy peanuts with soft chocolate.
- 9-inch piecrust unbaked
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup or sugar cane syrup (such as steen's)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tblsp bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until frothy and then blend in the sugar.
- Stir in the syrup, vanilla, bourbon, salt, and the melted butter mixture until well blended.
- Spread the pecans on the bottom of the piecrust and carefully pour the egg mixture over them.
- Bake until the filling is set and slightly puffed, about 45 minutes.
- Test for doneness by sticking a thin knife in the centre of the pie, if it comes out pretty clean, you're good to go.
- Transfer the pie to a rack and cool completely before cutting.