Cathal Armstrong shows us how with the classic Brussel Sprout.
- about 40 fresh local brussels sprouts
- 213 g bacon lardons
- 4 each shallots minced
- 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 4 tblsp chicken stock
- 4 tblsp butter
- salt and black pepper
- Clean and remove dull outer leaves from the sprouts.
- Cut them in half and blanch them in salted boiling water until just tender (do not over cook them or they have an unsavory gassy quality).
- Shock them in iced water.
- When they are cold, strain them and lay them on a paper towel in the refrigerator - this can be done the night before but store them covered overnight.
- Sauté the bacon until it is golden brown.
- Add the shallots and the brussels sprouts and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and, when it simmers, stir in the butter. Season with salt and pepper then add the thyme.