A delious fish dish from chef Cathal Armstrong
- 1 side of wild atlantic salmon (cleaned, skin on, pin bones removed)
- 600 g sea salt
- 200 g sugar
- 113 g dill (roughly chopped)
- 28 g good cognac
- for the sauce:
- 4 tbs mustard; dark highly-seasoned prepared
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs champagne vinegar
- 80 ml us canola/rapeseed oil
- 3 tbs fresh chopped dill
- Line a sheet pan with plastic wrap. Mix the sugar and salt together in a bowl. Place the Salmon on the tray and cover with the salt and sugar mixture. Put the chopped dill on top and sprinkle with the Cognac. Wrap the Salmon in the plastic. Place another sheet tray on top and put in the refrigerator with a heavy weight on top for 24 hours.
- Remove the Salmon from the plastic, rinse thoroughly with cold water, discard the salt/sugar and dill. Pat the Salmon dry with paper towel, slice thinly and serve.
- To Prepare the Sauce:
- In a small bowl mix the two mustards sugar and vinegar to a paste. With a wire whisk slowly beat in the oil until it forms a thick mayonnaise-like emulsion. Stir in the chopped dill.