So quick, so tasty and so easy when you know how.
- 500 g premium minced beef
- 150 g chunks of bacon (lardons would be good)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 2x 5/6 inch pieces celery (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 250g passata
- 400 g tin tomatoes
- 100 ml beef stock
- 100 ml red wine
- 20 g butter
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy based saucepan, fry the bacon, onions, carrots, celery and garlic in the butter.
- When the vegetables are golden and softened, turn up the heat, brown the meat little by little so it doesn't release its juices and stew (this is the key to deep caramelised taste!).
- When it's nicely browned, add the tomatoes, wine and stock, give it a good stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, and leave to simmer on a low heat for about an hour to an hour-and-a-half, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little stock or water if it looks like drying out.
- Serve with fresh pasta and grated parmesan.