Forty eight hours of rioting followed the disturbances at the civil rights march. Pat Sweeney reports from Derry city, which is now quiet again.
- Title Derry City Quiet After Riots
- 1st Broadcast 08/10/1968
- ContributorPat Sweeney (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:01
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Derry Quiet After Riots
- Extended description
At least 80 people have been treated in hospital since the police broke up last Saturday's banned civil rights march.
Public opinion is largely that the scenes would never have taken place had the protest been allowed to take place. After all the violence, the problem remains the same. Eddie McAteer, Nationalist leader, says that a recurrence of the scenes of the last few days is always likely.
A RTÉ News report on the calm after the storm of the Derry city riots. This report by Pat Sweeney was broadcast on 8 October 1968.
- Local keywords Pat Sweeney, Derry, Londonderry, Civil Rights Movement, Eddie McAteer, Civil Rights, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Northern Ireland, Derry, Londonderry
- Genre News
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N1260/0068B
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
Derry Quiet After Riots
Broadcast - 08/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:01:01
"The Civil Rights Marchers...in Londonderry were Extremely Violent..."
Broadcast - 08/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:08:45