Former taoiseach Bertie Ahern has walked out of an interview with German broadcaster DW after being questioned on the findings of the Mahon Tribunal.

During the interview for the Conflict Zone programme, Mr Ahern said he is "quite happy he cleared his name" regarding the tribunal's findings.

The former Fianna Fáil leader said the tribunal "gave its view and I gave my evidence, and I was very happy with my evidence".

When questioning further on the topic, Mr Ahern said: "I've dealt with that issue and I’m not saying anymore [about it]."

Upon further questioning, Mr Ahern told interviewer Tim Sebastian: "I agreed to meet you on the Good Friday Agreement, we’ve done that, so we’re finished, thank you very much."

The broadcaster said that while the interview was billed as being primarily about the Good Friday Agreement, Mr Ahern’s office was offered a list of topics that they were going to cover. 

Mr Sebastian said that Mr Ahern’s office did not respond to that offer.

A spokesperson for Mr Ahern said the DW interview was one of 40 interviews Mr Ahern gave to mark the 20th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement.

She said Mr Ahern gave 23 minutes of his time to discuss the agreement, and answered questions on the Mahon Tribunal.

When the interviewer then turned to the economic crash, Mr Ahern ended the interview as he was out of time and had understood the interview was to be about the Good Friday Agreement.

Earlier in the interview Mr Ahern would not be not drawn on whether he intends to seek a nomination to run for president.

Mr Ahern stood down as taoiseach in 2008, saying he was leaving office partly due to the tribunal, which was ongoing at that time. 

He was replaced as party leader and taoiseach by Brian Cowen.

Mr Ahern has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and rejects the findings of the tribunal.

Interview in full