SIPTU and Unite will meet with HSE management at the Labour Court today in a bid to resolve a pay dispute at the National Ambulance Service.
A planned 48-hour strike, which would have commenced tomorrow, has been stood down to allow for today's talks at the Labour Court.
Plans remain in place for a 72-hour work stoppage on 26 May.
A work-to-rule by frontline ambulance staff, which began last week, is also continuing.
The HSE said it welcomed the announcement from SIPTU and Unite that this week's planned industrial action has been stood down.
"The HSE will continue to engage in the Labour Court process on Monday," a spokesperson said.
Speaking last week, SIPTU's Ambulance Sector Organiser John McCamley said they are optimistic that a breakthrough can be achieved on the basis that the parties will meet at an open forum and discuss their issues without preconditions.
"We are optimistic that we can find a resolution," Mr McCamley said.
Unite has warned that workers will return to the picket lines if meaningful progress is not made in the Labour Court talks.
"Neither the HSE nor the Minister for Health should be under any illusion, industrial action has been deferred, not withdrawn," said Unite Regional Officer Eoin Drummey.
"In the absence of meaningful progress tomorrow, our members remain fully prepared to return to the picket lines," Mr Drummey said.
Unions have accused the HSE of failing to implement the recommendations of an independent report on updating staff salary scales to reflect changes in responsibilities and workload.
The HSE said that previous proposals to resolve the dispute, that would have delivered pay increases, were rejected.
Unions said however that the proposals came with conditions, including changes to allowances, that were unacceptable to members.