The parents of Irish teenager Nóra Quoirin, whose body was found in the Malaysian jungle, are suing the resort from where she disappeared for allegedly failing to provide adequate security.

The unclothed body of 15-year-old Nóra was discovered in August last year after a massive hunt through dense rainforest, not far from the resort where the London-based family had been on holiday.

Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin say they believe there was a "criminal element" in the case as Nóra had learning difficulties and would not have wandered off alone, but Malaysian police insist there was no sign of foul play.

The family's lawyers have filed a civil suit against the Dusun Resort, not far from the capital Kuala Lumpur, seeking at least 182,000 ringgit (€40,000) in damages, according to court documents seen by AFP.

The jungle cottage the Quoirins stayed in at the Dusan resort

The couple claim the entrance gate to their jungle cottage was left open at all times, no guards were stationed outside and there was no CCTV installed at the premises.

They also say the latch of a window was broken and it could be easily opened by anyone from outside.

The parents argue that her disappearance and death were "caused directly by the defendant's negligence and/or recklessness", the documents said.

They are seeking damages for bereavement, funeral expenses and other costs, as well as any other damages as assessed by the court.

A representative from the resort told the official Bernama news agency their legal team was examining the suit.

Read more

Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin in an interview with RTÉ News in December

Nóra disappeared on 4 August, a day after arriving at the resort, triggering a ten-day search involving hundreds of people, helicopters and sniffer dogs.

The results of a post-mortem examination found she likely starved and died of internal bleeding, with police saying there was no indication she was abducted or sexually assaulted.

However, her parents have said they still suspect foul play.

Speaking to RTÉ News last month, the Quoirins said they have asked for an inquest to be carried out by the Malaysian authorities.

Mr Quoirin said: "We are determined to have this inquest. We're hopeful that the French, the Irish and British governments will support us. I think it's a basic human right and democratic duty to find some truth and justice to what happened."

He said the family could get "some degree of closure" if they understand what happened.

Ms Quoirin said: "I think we will be living with the horror of what happened in Malaysia for the rest of our lives.

"I think we will seek justice in so far as we can. We have to find peace in our own hearts."