Friends of John Delaney have said that he has told them he is to stand down from the Football Association of Ireland.

The FAI has made no comment on the matter. It follows talks about his future that took place at FAI headquarters in Abbotstown yesterday.

The close associates of John Delaney said they received text messages from the former FAI CEO, in which he outlined that he is to leave the organisation.

It is understood a number of board members are said to be wavering in their support for Mr Delaney.

In the four days since the FAI appeared before an Oireachtas Committee, the Taoiseach, other politicians, professional players, grassroots organisations, sponsors and fans have all raised further questions about the Association.

The latest wave of opposition came at matches in four stadiums on Friday

A number of protests against the FAI took place at League of Ireland football matches around the country.

In Cork, gardaí and security staff intervened after fans displayed a banner at Turner's Cross calling for the FAI's Executive Vice President, John Delaney, to stand down.

The former Cork City Chairman and Sinn Fein TD, Jonathan O'Brien, was removed from the stadium during the incident but was later re-admitted.

In a statement yesterday afternoon, Cork City FC apologised for any upset caused for supporters and staff and said it was reviewing internal security procedures following the incident.

Mr O'Brien described the incident as an over-reaction but he said the protests by fans reflects the mounting pressure on the FAI.

He said the former CEO John Delaney and other board members need to step aside in the best interest of Irish football and the Association.

In Sligo, a protest banner was also unveiled in the 33rd minute of the game. 

In Dublin's Tallaght Stadium, Shamrock Rovers fans sang a number of anti-FAI songs during their game against Waterford United.

In Donegal, there was also some anti-FAI chanting during the meeting of Finn Harps and Bohemians at Finn Park.