Minister for Children Kathrine Zappone is to meet the commission investigating mother-and-baby homes next week to discuss its request for a further one year extension to its deadline for delivering a final report.
Her spokesperson was responding to criticisms from survivors of dozens of homes, including the institution in Tuam, of a newspaper report that the Cabinet would discuss the request next Tuesday.
Last Wednesday, The Irish Times, citing an unnamed source, reported that the Cabinet meeting was expected to discuss a request from the Commission of Investigation for a one-year extension to next month's deadline for producing a final report.
A number of survivors' groups responded angrily to the news, taking particular exception to learning about it through the media.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
But in a statement to RTÉ News, the minister's office said the matter is not on the Cabinet's agenda on Tuesday, but that Ms Zappone will meet the commission next week to further discuss its request.
The minister says she will then respond in consultation with her Cabinet colleagues.
It is understood that in recent weeks, the commission received a large amount of new data, mainly from the Department of Health and that much work remains to be done in analysing this and similar material already in the possession of the statutory investigation which is examining a sample of 18 homes.
The Tuam Home Survivors Network network described the request as devastating, while the organisation, Irish First Mothers, criticised the failure by the minister to tell its members about the development before they read about it in the media.
The Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes was established in 2015 and was originally tasked to complete its work by this time last year.