French anti-terrorist officials said today they would shortly file charges against a man arrested in connection with the mass shooting at a Christmas market in Strasbourg last week.

The 37-year-old, who was not immediately identified, was detained on Thursday.

He is suspected of helping to provide the pistol used by Chérif Chekatt, a career criminal who killed five people and wounded 11 at the market last Tuesday night, judicial sources said.

Chekatt, who was on a list of possible extremist security risks, was shot and killed by police after a two-day manhunt in the city.

The alleged associate will be brought before a judge in Paris today, the prosecutors' office in Paris said.

Six other people detained in the wake of last Tuesday's attack, including Chekatt's parents and two of his brothers, have been released without charge.

The so-called Islamic State group claimed Chekatt was one of their "fighters", but this was dismissed by French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner.

Chérif Chekatt

Chekatt's father, Abdelkrim, told France 2 television on Saturday night that his son believed the Islamic State "fought for a good cause".

"I always told him they were criminals," his father added.

Had his son hinted he intended to kill people, he said: "I would have told police about him, so that he wouldn't have killed anyone, and wouldn't have gotten himself killed".


Read more:
Fifth victim of Strasbourg Christmas market attack dies
Strasbourg gunman shot dead by police


Four of the five people killed in the attack were foreigners or born abroad.

One was a 45-year-old Thai tourist, and another a 45-year-old Franco-Afghan garage owner who fled his country 20 years ago.

A 28-year-old Italian journalist, in town to cover the European parliament, was also shot and killed, as was a 36-year-old former Pole who had lived in Strasbourg for the past 20 years.

The dead also included a 61-year-old Frenchman who had just retired and was shot in the head as he stepped out of a restaurant.