A Co Wexford primary school has reversed a decision to close to pupils until after the mid-term break because of the high number of cases of Covid-19 among them.

CBS Primary School in Wexford town has told parents that it is available to receive children in the building tomorrow.

The decision was made after the Department of Education instructed the school to reopen, and after a lengthy board of management meeting this evening.

The school said that despite ongoing concerns for the safety of pupils, the considered decisions of the board of management, and after lengthy discussions with the Department of Education, it had been instructed to return to face-to-face learning with immediate effect.

It said that closing the building was a last resort.

The school did not reopen to pupils after the weekend after more than 30 cases of the virus were detected.

Principal Vicky Barron told parents on Sunday evening that the decision had been taken by the board of management and that students would be taught remotely for the week.

Yesterday she described the decision as an emergency measure that was "a vital health and safety precaution for all".

The Department of Education has previously stated that all decisions to close schools must be made following guidance from public health officials and not independently by schools.

Yesterday Ms Barron said there were "serious flaws" in HSE guidance for schools.

Ms Barron said the school was notified of a positive case of Covid-19 in one of its classes on 8 October and that a number of other cases were notified over the following three days.

On Tuesday 12 October, all children in the class were designated by the HSE as close contacts and sent for testing, but their siblings were advised to continue to attend school.

Ms Barron said that as the week progressed, there were 19 positive cases in the class and a number of siblings of those class members subsequently tested positive.

She said there are now more than 30 cases among the school community and that she was expecting further cases to be confirmed among the school population.

Last Friday 35% of children in the school were absent due to illness, the message to parents said.

"We are taking this emergency measure as a vital health and safety precaution for all," Ms Barron said.

"It is very clear that that are serious flaws in the HSE Guidance regarding protecting children in schools and the board of management has decided, in the interest for the health and safety of all our pupils and their families to implement these emergency measures."

Meanwhile, a primary school in Co Wicklow has closed its doors to pupils over concerns at a high incidence of Covid-19 at the school.

Hollywood National School told RTÉ News that its decision is supported by public health officials.

The school has 135 students.

It has declined to comment any further on the decision.

Yesterday, the Irish National Teachers Organisation called for Covid-19 testing and tracing measures in primary schools to be reinstated following the closure of the school in Wexford.

A rule change last month means primary school children who are close contacts of confirmed Covid-19 cases are no longer required to self-isolate if they are symptom free.