The Cabinet has agreed a number of new restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of coronavirus.
The measures are effective immediately and will remain in place until 13 September, at the earliest.
The Government also said it is working on a new roadmap, which it hopes to finalise and publish in the coming weeks.
At a glance, here are the main points from today's announcement.
- All businesses should allow staff to work from home where possible.
- All visits to homes will be limited to six people from outside the home, from no more than three households. This applies to both indoor and outdoor gatherings.
- People over the age of 70 are advised to limit their interactions to a small network, avoid public transport, and shop during designated hours.
- All outdoor events and gatherings will be limited to 15 people, down from 200.
- Indoor events will be reduced from 50 people to just six people, except for businesses such as shops and restaurants.
- Indoor weddings and some religious services, such as mass, are exempt from the new restrictions, meaning they can still take place with up to 50 people.
- People are being advised to use their own judgement with regards to attending mass, but the Taoiseach has reassured mass-goers that measures are in place to attend safely.
- Restaurants and cafes can remain open, with a mandatory closing time of 11.30pm.
- Legislation will be introduced to enable gardaí to immediately close down any pub or facility that is abusing public health measures.
- The Government will also consider the reopening of pubs that do not serve food at the end of August.
- The ministers for health and justice are considering introducing legislation to give additional powers to gardaí and other agencies to enforce public health measures.
- All sporting events will now take place behind closed doors. There will be a strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after matches. Training sessions should follow the rule of six people indoors and 15 outdoors.
- Children's summer camps can continue, but should be kept to the same group of 15 children.
- Gyms can remain open but no more than six people will be allowed in an exercise class at any given time.
- Public transport should be avoided where possible.
- The wearing of face coverings is advised on private transport if households are mixed.
- Schools will reopen as planned, but work needs to be done to make school transport safer.
- Local lockdowns in counties Kildare, Offaly and Laois will be considered by NPHET on Thursday.
Additional reporting Mary Regan and Aisling Kenny