The European Commission has said it received a letter from the UK in response to legal action taken by the EU against the UK over non-compliance with the Northern Ireland Protocol.
Today was the deadline for the UK to respond to a number of infringement proceedings launched by the European Commission, one of which dates back to March of last year.
Four infringement procedures were triggered by the European Commission in July, adding to three already launched a month earlier.
"I can confirm that we have received a reply from the UK, we will now analyse the reply before deciding upon next steps," said commission spokesperson Dan Ferrie.
Fresh legal action was taken in June and July after the then-Foreign Secretary Liz Truss introduced legislation which will dismantle large parts of the protocol.
Infringement proceedings normally go through a number of stages before a case is taken to the European Court of Justice.
The PA news agency was told that the response said the UK would continue with the current approach of not forcing retailers and exporters to adhere to all the agreed checks.
The response with unilateral action is liable to anger the bloc, which has stressed the need to find joint solutions to the trade barrier created in the Irish Sea by the protocol.
Downing Street declined to comment on the UK response.
The Prime Minister's Official Spokesman, asked about the response, said that Downing Street had "no comment" to make on the matter.
European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen will be in Westminster for Queen Elizabeth's funeral on Monday.
It is unclear if she will be meeting Liz Truss while in London, although Ms Truss is expected to hold some talks with political leaders during their visits.
There have been unconfirmed suggestions that Ms Truss will speak to Taoiseach Micheál Martin on the margins of the funeral amid tensions over the protocol.
Additional reporting PA