Around 100 residents from the Priory Hall apartment complex in Donaghmede have tonight checked into a Dublin Hotel.

Many residents, including young families are staying at the Regency Hotel in Whitehall, which was arranged as alternative accomodation for them by Dubiln City Council.

The residents had previously been advised they must leave their homes because of fire safety concerns. Compulsory evacuation has been delayed by the High Court until Thursday.

A residents meeting was being held at the Regency Hotel in Dublin, where the householders committee will brief people on the latest developments in relation to their homes at the courts today.

They are also to be addressed by David Hall of the New Beginning legal group. He said ahead of tonight's meeting it was vital they get legal representation.

Earlier today in the High Court, Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns gave residents extra time to discuss alternative accommodation options with the city council.

He ordered the city council to open five dedicated phone lines to deal with the residents.

Mr Justice Kearns was told by lawyers for the city council that there were 8,000 people on the housing list. However, the judge said the residents must be taken care of.

He said it was very traumatic for people to be put out of their homes.

"We haven't seen this situation in Ireland in recent centuries."

Mr Justice Kearns ordered Thomas McFeely and Lawrence O'Mahony to submit statements of means to the court by Friday.

He was told that neither man had money to lodge in court to pay for the accommodation of residents.

Mr McFeely said all his means would be used to carry out the works.

The judge ordered Dublin City Council to pay the cost of accommodating the residents while the works are going on, if it turns out that Mr McFeely and Mr O'Mahony cannot.

He said he was not having the residents leaving court without knowing where they were going and worrying that they would have to pay the cost of the accommodation.

He said Dublin City Council made this application and this was one of the most obvious things they should have thought of.

Brendan Finlay, a fire consultant for the developers of the development, told the court about a schedule of works that had been agreed with the fire service.

He said phase one of the works involved removing the external walls to take away the risk of fire spreading and installing enhanced fire alarms and smoke detectors.

He said this would take five weeks.

Mr Justice Kearns ordered the works to be completed by 28 November and said the High Court would be monitoring the progress of the works on a week by week basis.

Lawyers for Dublin City Council told the High Court this morning that emergency accommodation was being provided for the residents at the Regency Hotel in Swords.

City council officials had gone to the development on Saturday and had identified 249 residents, including 96 dependants - either older people or children.

Removal vans cleared apartments throughout the day today, with storage facilities acorss Dublin being used to store people's belongings.

A fire engine and four staff had been present at the development since Friday.

However, some families with young children told the court that hotel accommodation would not be suitable.

One father, Darren Kelly, said he had a 13-week-old baby girl and he and his partner needed to make bottles and change nappies.

Mr Kelly also had his two-and-a-half-year-old son with him in court.

Large numbers of residents were in the High Court for this morning's hearing.

Mr Justice Kearns said he wanted to assure them that his concern was for the welfare of the apartment owners and occupiers.

He said they had been heavily penalised for the situation that had been allowed to develop.

He said he could not imagine anything more stressful than what residents were going through.

He said there did not seem to be any alternative to having the residents move out while work is carried out.

A solicitor representing 30 residents said they were very concerned about what was happening and about the lack of information from Dublin City Council.

He said there were some families whose English was not good who may not even know they have to leave.