- 6 large frozen vol-au-vent cases
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- 400g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Black pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Arrange the frozen vol-au-vent cases on a lined tray. Brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffed up and golden. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan. Sauté the mushrooms until golden, add the garlic and stir until the raw flavour is gone – about one minute.
- Remove from the heat and season well with black pepper and a little salt. Add a generous squeeze of lemon juice, the mustard, thyme and crème fraîche. Stir gently to combine.
- Remove the lid from each pastry case and spoon in the hot mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with a little fresh thyme and serve right away.