Serves 4 (approximately)
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small leek, diced
- 50g smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 300ml dry white wine
- 600ml fish or vegetable stock
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 200g sweetcorn
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 300ml cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 400g cooked Irish Crab Meat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wheaten bread, to serve
- Heat a heavy-based pan.
- Melt the butter and add the onion, leek, bacon and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not coloured
- Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble down, then pour in the stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the potatoes to the stock mixture and simmer for another 8–10 minutes, until tender.
- Add in the sweetcorn and stir through.
- Mix the cornflour in a small bowl with a little water, then stir it into the soup.
- Simmer for 1 minute, until thickened, then stir in the cream.
- Add the parsley and the crab meat, then season to taste
- Allow to warm through, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle the chowder into warmed bowls to serve.