Tune into Cook-In with Mark Moriarty on Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 8:30pm.
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 500g Quality Assured Irish Beef mince
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 10 sliced jalapeno, diced
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes (or less if you don't like the heat)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 20ml soy sauce
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 5 tomatoes, quartered and de-seeded
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Chopped coriander
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
- 250g basmati rice, washed and rinsed
- 500ml water
- 1 avocado, to serve (optional)
- Heat a large pan, and cook the mince in the veg oil, allow to colour heavily
- Season the mince by grating in the beef stock cube
- Add the onion, garlic, pepper, jalapeno, chilli, and spices and allow to colour over a high heat.
- Next, season with soy sauce add the beans, and reduce the heat.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and mix through the mince, this will emulsify the flavours from the base of the pan.
- h the rice in cold water, place in a pot with the water, Cook the rice by bringing the rice and water to the boil, adding a lid and then reducing the heat and simmer until the water has evaporated, this will take about ten minutes
- To make the salsa, de-seed the tomatoes after then dice. Add onion and season with the cumin, chilli, and zest of lime.
- Season to taste with the lime juice and finish with chopped coriander
- Assemble the 3 elements in x 4 bowls top with avocado, and serve warm.