Tune into Cook-In with Mark Moriarty on Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 8:30pm.
- 1kg leg or shoulder of lamb diced (approx 1kg)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tblsp coriander powder
- 2 tblsp curry powder
- 2 tblsp cumin powder
- 1 tblsp chilli powder
- 4 onions, peeled
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 red pepper, seeds removed
- 2 tblsp Dijon mustard
- 2 beef stockpots
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 red chilli, top removed (use dried if fresh unavailable )
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 200g basmati rice
- 400g water
- Heat a large oven proof pot, add some oil and caramelise the meat all over .
- In a dry pan, toast the spices for 1min over a medium heat, add this to the browned lamb.
- In a food processer or blender, add the chillis, onion, garlic, peppers, mustard and stock cubes. Blend till a paste is formed. Add this to the browned lamb.
- Cook out over a medium heat for 3mins, then add the vinegar, followed by the tinned tomatoes and stockpots. Finish by adding the rosemary. Bring this to the boil.
- Place a lid on the ovenproof dish and cook at 150c for 3hours.
- Once cooked, the meat will be tender, remove the herbs.
- To cook the rice, wash it off under cold water to remove excess starch.
- Bring the rice and water to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook under a lid for 10mins until dry and soft.