JP McMahon's Whole roast plaice with fennel and seaweed.
- 1 medium plaice
- 1 fennel bulb
- 250ml dry cider
- 150g butter
- A few pieces of dried kelp, re-hydrated in cold water
- A handful of fresh fennel fronds
- Extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Tarragon vinegar
- Sea salt
- Trim the plaice of its fins and tail. Oil the top and bottom of the fish and season with sea salt.
- Half the fennel lengthways and shave on a mandolin.
- Place the fennel and the seaweed on the base of a large roasting tray and dress with a little oil and vinegar. Season with sea salt.
- Pour the cider over the fennel and seaweed.
- Add the butter cubes and lay the fish on top.
- Roast for 15 mins in a 200˚C oven.
- Remove the fish from the oven and allow to rest.
- Peel the skin from the fish and garnish with some fennel fronds.