Jess Murphy's Achill Island Black Face Lamb Chops
- 8 lamb chops
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
For the Muhammara:
- 3 red peppers
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 50 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to finish
- ¼ tsp Salt
For the Whipped Ricotta:
- 425 g part-skimmed ricotta
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the Spring Greens:
- 250 g broccoli, thicker stalks halved
- 400 g spring greens (e.g. cabbage, kale etc.), thick stalks removed and shredded
For the dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Green Beans with Freekeh:
- 70 g cracked freekeh, rinsed and drained (if unavailable use bulgur or quinoa)
- 700 g fine green beans, trimmed
- 20 g chervil leaves
- 50 g walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp mild chilli flakes
For the Tahini Dressing:
- 75 g tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp dried mint
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- Begin with the muhammara. Heat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas Mark 6. Put the peppers on a roasting tray in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes until the skin is blackened. (Alternatively, roast over a flame on a gas hob until the skin is blackened).
- Spread tin-foil on a separate tray, add the breadcrumbs and walnuts and toast in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Once cooked transfer the peppers to a bowl and cover in cling film. When the peppers are cool enough to handle peel and discard the skin and stalk (you can leave in the seeds). Pat the peppers dry with kitchen towel and put into a blender.
- Add the toasted breadcrumbs and walnuts, lemon juice, molasses, cumin, chilli, garlic and olive oil. Blend until combined, maintaining its texture. Stir in ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- For a more intense flavour add more molasses and salt. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Set to one side.
- Put the ricotta in a mixing bowl, add the salt, pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Make the tahini dressing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the green and beans. Boil for approx. 5 minutes, until tender. Drain. Remove the thick stalks from the greens and fry on a hot griddle.
- Cut the broccoli into florets and add to the griddle. Fry both until tender.
- Cook the freekeh according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Add the tahini dressing and mix to combine. Shred half the spring greens, chop the beans and chop the spring green stalks. Finely chop the chervil leaves. Add the greens, beans, stalks and chervil to the freekeh along with the broccoli. Stir well.
- Trim fat from the lamb chops and divide into four pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Fry on a hot griddle with a splash of olive oil for 3 and a half minutes on each side. Toss the remaining spring greens with a pinch of salt.
- Plate up the lamb and a generous spoonful of the muhammara, add some greens, a heaped spoonful of whipped ricotta and another of the freekeh. Garnish with more cooked greens.
Nutritional information (per serving):