Catherine Fulvio's Easter Surprise Cake.
Serves 8 to 10
For the cake
- 225g softened butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 60ml milk
For the filling
- 350ml Freshly Whipped Cream (1 medium carton)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 200g strawberries, hulled and sliced
For the buttercream
- 120g softened butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 100ml Double Cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pink colour food paste
- Lilac colour food paste
- Yellow colour food paste
- 5 to 6 Easter chicks, to decorate
- 12 colourful mini Easter eggs, to decorate
- 1m pink or lilac ribbon, to tie around the cake (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180?C/fan 160?C/gas 4.
- To prepare the cake, brush 2 x 20cm cake tins with melted butter and line the base with parchment.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and whisk well.
- Sift the plain flour and baking powder together and fold into the egg mix.
- Add just enough milk to form a soft cake batter.
- Pour in the prepared tins and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and it comes out clean.
- Fold the Freshly Whipped Cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract together.
- To prepare the buttercream, place the butter into a mixer and whisk until fluffy, spoon in the icing sugar while still whisking. Add the Double Cream and whisk for a further 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Divide the buttercream into 3 bowls, leaving more in one bowl as you will need it to cover the top of the cake. Add pink and pale lilac into the smaller amounts of buttercream and stir yellow colour paste into the other bowl. Mix each very well and spoon each colour into disposable piping bags without nozzles.
- To assemble the cake, place one sponge cake layer on a cake stand, using a large scone cutter, cut a circle and fill the hole with the mini eggs. Spread cream over and arrange the sliced strawberries on top. Place the other sponge layer on top.
- To decorate, begin with snipping the lilac buttercream piping bag and pipe around the base of the cake, 1/3 of the way up. Follow with the pink buttercream, 1/3 of the way up and then use the yellow buttercream around the other 1/3 and on the top. Use a spatula to smooth around the cake, dip your spatula into hot water, wiping it before using OR you can spread the colours around the cake with a spatula.
- To finish, decorate with chicks, Easter eggs on top and as optional, tie ribbon around the base of the cake.
Recipe courtesy of Avonmore