Red Pepper, Leek & Cannellini Bean Lasagne from Catherine Fulvio.
For the filling
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 2 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 50ml white wine
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 250g cooked cannellini beans
- Generous handful of baby spinach leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 3 eggs
- 200g ricotta cheese
- 250ml cream
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 70g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 150g mozzarella, thinly sliced or torn
- 8 to 9 lasagne sheets
- 10 basil leaves
For the topping
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp parmesan
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley, thyme and chives
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- To prepare the filling, heat a saucepan with a little oil and add the celery, carrots, leeks and paprika and rosemary, saute for about 5 minutes until the leeks are cooked but not brown, stir from time to time.
- Add the red peppers before adding the white wine and cook for 2 minutes, stirring from time to time before adding the stock.
- Leave to simmer slowly for about 10 minutes before adding the cooked cannellini beans.
- To prepare the sauce, whisk the eggs, ricotta cheese, cream, nutmeg and parmesan cheese together in the bowl, adding salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble, brush a 30cm x 20cm gratin dish with melted butter. Begin with a vegetable layer, some spinach leaves then about 3 lasagne sheets, followed by mozzarella slices, a few basil leaves and then the ricotta-egg sauce.
- Repeat the layers ending with ricotta egg sauce. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs, parmesan and some of the chopped herb mix on top.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, garnish with the rest of the chopped herbs.