Mags Roche serves up a tasty Guinness braised beef cheek with creamy mash and carmelised onions.
- 1 beef cheek (ask the butcher for trimmed)
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf/thyme
- Half can Guinness
- Beef stock
- Lightly season the beef cheek.
- Brown beef in a hot pan. Take out and set aside.
- Carmelise the vegetables in the same pan, add the Guinness and reduce by 1/2
- Add the beef stock bring to the boil.
- Pour over the beef check and cook overnight or in a slow cooker at 100 degrees for 6 -8 hours. Depending the size of the cheek, this might take less or more time.
- When cooked strain off the vegetables and reduce the liquid to a nice sauce consistency.
- Carmelise the onions in a hot pan.
- When the onions become a nice dark golden colour add a little butter and cream and salt.
- For the mashed potato, boil or roast potatoes.
- Mash with a little milk, cream, and butter. Season with salt and add some chives for an extra little flavour.